Sunday, March 20, 2011

Anniversary Present.......Maybe

So, I had a brilliant idea for an anniversary gift for my husband.  He won't actually receive it in person since he will still be out of the country, but I'll send him a pic!  Anyway, I am in love with the subway signs that everyone is doing and I thought it would be perfect to do one with every street we've lived on and every state we've lived in, along with a favorite music quote.  I'm trying a technique that didn't work for me the first time I tried it (hello PB knockoff airplane), but I have my fingers crossed that it works for this project.  I printed off all the names using the mirror image option on my printer (which took me forever to figure out), then used Modge Podge to transfer the ink to my canvas.


The first was buying a canvas and painting one coat of antique white.


This is My song quote, "Home is wherever I'm with you." 

The street I grew up.  I slathered on the Modge Podge, stuck down the paper for less than a minute.  If it wasn't transferring completely, I would add a little more modge and wait another 30 seconds before pulling up the paper.

I liked how the text looked old and worn; however, if I had a Silhouette, I would have used that and loved it.
Once I had all the text transferred to the canvas, I mixed water and burnt umber and coated the entire canvas, then dabbed it off for an aged/distressed look.
This is the finished product.  I like it....A LOT, but I don't LOVE it.  I may have to figure out just how to get a Silhouette.....soon!

Happy Anniversary honey!  I guess I should clue him in by telling him that I've started a blog......

I've linked up to Funky Junk Saturday Nite Special

Happy Sunday!
libby :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!!!