Saturday, April 2, 2011

BURLAP AND COWBOYS

We are moving Haley to college this summer (ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK KU) and her bedroom will become my son's room.  I have so many great ideas but just can't decide on which theme to go with....dinosaurs (he actually knows their REAL names and has hundreds), baseball (his dad's favorite sport (which he wants Hagan to be a pro player)), cowboy (I love this idea) or airplanes (no, Hagan has actually never shown any interest in really playing with them, but he does believe that his dad lives at the airport :)).  I think I'm so attached to the cowboy theme because he had a cowboy party for his 2nd birthday and he just looked so damn cute on the wanted poster! 


 I think I may cave in and go with dinosaurs, because let's face it, they are his favorite and when he grows out of them, I'll be able to re-decorate!  Nevertheless, I made a cowboy banner before I finally came to the realization that it was Hagan's room and it should reflect what he likes and enjoys (and also after Haley made me feel foolish for even considering anything else).  Thanks Haley :)  

My materials included two different colors of burlap, two different styles of scrapbook paper, twine and my trusty glue gun.

I cut a rough pattern of the shapes I wanted out of scrap paper to use to make sure that they would all be a little smaller than the last one.  Then I start cutting out my triangles..er, I mean my banners?  I've heard these called banners or buntings...whatever YOU call them, then THAT'S what I'm making.





 Burlap is messy!  I had it everywhere!  I used pinking shears to cut the fabric and paper.  Not really for any reason other than that I could not find my "good" scissors anywhere....I suspect some child who's name begins with "H" has them in HER room!  After cleaning up the random fuzzies (that is a word, even if it's not included in the spellcheck suggestions), I decided that I wanted the triangles to appear to be hanging from the twine, so I cut some small pieces of twine to thread the other twine through...got that?



 Then I thought...what else can I add?  I like the girly buntings that have flowers or bows added to the corners, but that wouldn't work for a cowboy banner.  So, I made another mess and cut strips with both colors of the burlap and tied the together, then tied them to the twine.  

 THEN, I cleaned up my mess again and hung it up to check it out.  I like it!!  It seriously took me about 20 minutes start to finish!  It wouldn't have taken that long if I hadn't stopped twice to clean up.

This is what Hagan was doing while I was hanging them.  "Take a picture of me mom!  Take a picture of me!"  Okay Hagan...here ya go...


That above is one of my four greatest accomplishments!  That little man makes my heart SUPER HAPPY!  (FYI, my son is opposed to all clothing, you're lucky he's wearing underwear)



Here's one more shot of the banner, bunting, triangle thingy:
Here is a pic of what my talented Haley is working on:
She is making a Dias De Los Muertos (Day of the Dead) figurine.  She was inspired by the Mexico exhibits at Epcot.  Very cool.


And something I am so psyched about!!!!!  I couldn't believe my luck when I found two, TWO, count them, TWO at Goodwill today
I can't wait to get to work on them!  Only $4 and $3!  If only Goodwill knew how much they were wanted...the other two items I'm pretty stoked about too!  I may have to get to work tonight!


I {Heart} Naptime Sundae Scoop   
The CSI Project

Have a great Saturday night!
LIBBY :)




3 comments:

  1. Cute Cowboy banner! Thanks for becoming a new follower =) I just did a cheese dome makeover too...aren't they a fun find?! I'm also a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been trying to find some of those at goodwill but no luck Love you hagan soo Cute miss him

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep looking! I was really shocked to find not one but two! I think I completely embarrassed Haley when I started dancing with joy and excitement, lol. Hagan misses you too!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!!!