Sunday, April 17, 2011

Sconces, shelves and wall holes....OH MY

Mean people suck!  So, if you are a fellow blogger and have ever received a nasty comment or just someone who reads blogs and leaves NICE comments, please visit My Favorite Hate Mail.  This blog was started by Mandi at Vintage Revivals and Vivienne at The V Spot (you remember Vivienne, right??  She was my blog crush that I linked to Vintage Revivals Who Is Your Blog Crush Linky Fiesta).  They are my two most favorite bloggers out there and to have them together on a blog makes me want to jump up and down and squeal!  I seriously almost fell off my chair laughing this morning while reading this.  Check them out!

Ok, now on to sconces, shelves and wall holes.  I have been collecting sconces and shelves from thrift stores and yard sales for a few months now.  I chose to do a wall in our pool room.  (No, we don't have a pool inside our house, it's the room that houses the pool table.  Kind of like a "man cave."  Except, it's the room you walk into when you enter our front door, blah.  We normally convert our garage to the man cave, but not in Florida!  Too hot and too humid!!!)  Unfortunately, I do not have much wall space in my house, so some stuff had to come down so others could go up. That means filling previous nail holes, ugh, and measuring, BIG UGH.  I'm a pretty well-known sucky hanger...well, well-known between me and my hubs.  And he will not be disappointed to find out that I still suck at it, but I am promising to fill and paint all my holes that are kinda, sorta hidden right now.  By the way, I suggest NOT slathering on a ton of spackling if your garage looks like this and you can't actually get to your wall paint.
Yea...*sigh*....we moved into a smaller house...this is the result.  The wall paint is located to the left, in the corner, and quite honestly, I didn't feel like climbing a mountain today.  So, at the end of my project, I very neatly scrubbed off the excess spackling around all my little holes.  These are the sconces and shelves pre-spray paint and what the wall looked like before.  Excuse all my craft supplies on the floor...I TOLD you we moved into a smaller house.


I sprayed them all with Krylon Satin Black.  Then, I used that pool table to lay them out and figure out how I wanted them to go on the wall.  Let me just say, I have a really big wall right in the entry that would be perfect for this project because I am going to continue collecting sconces and adding them, BUT that wall has my husband's map picture hanging on it and I'm not sure how he would feel if I took it down.  Especially while he's gone.  I don't want to hurt the man's feelings.  Geez, what I do for love!
 The main focus of the wall.  The first shelf up with only a few extra holes.  I hate keyholes!  They make my hanging shelves really, really difficult.  I'm sure that's just my problem though!
Yes, I'm leaving this plain, black board there.  No, it will not stay like that.  By the end of the week it is going to hold the greatest, sappiest anniversary gift EVER!  And no, it isn't this.  I'll blog about that later this week, but let me say, I'm so, so, so excited!
Here's my little man helping me decide what should come next.  He had his own set of tools helping me and I'm pretty sure he got the pen behind the ear thing from Handy Manny.
 Before I realized that I didn't want to climb a mountain.
After scrubbing off the excess spackling.
OH WHY, oh why, can I not take great pictures?  Not even good ones!  The lighting always looks horrible in this room.  I think I see a photography class in my future....

Obviously, I'm not finished.  A little too much black for me right now and after the "black board project" is finished, I'll be able to fill it in a little more.  It's growing on me.  I'm not the type of person who likes to leave something like this unfinished, so most likely as soon as I post this, I will be back in there staring at it.  Thanks for visiting and please leave a comment.  Unless, you want to be negative...then I DARE you to leave a comment.  I have the perfect place to call you out now.  Hee hee hee :) 

I'm linking up to these linky parties

Libby :)





4 comments:

  1. I think this is great -- I love monochromatic schemes/decorating and you've got so many great shapes that give it interest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all the sconces! Nester just did something like that but all in white. If the Nester is doing it too, you're definitely on to something! I have to tell you 2 things. No! 3 things!
    1. My garage looks like that too, but without the mattresses.
    2. thank you for the sweet, sweet comments about my blog, Mandi's blog and our new endeavor together. It makes my day.
    3. Your little guy with the pen behind his ear might very well be the cutest dang thing I have seen all week. Adorable!

    OK 4 things. Because I love you: boo to word verification. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the wall sconces and I can't wait to see what that black board will look like soon too! Also, just started following the V Spot blog (literally just minutes before I came here) and I'm pretty sure I have a blog crush now too...are they contagious?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really cool! I thought I'd already commented actually, but I must've got distracted by the link to the hate mail blog ;)

    Thanks for linking this up at H&H, sorry I'm a bit slow getting around to everyone!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!!!